Change of Name

Change of Name

Legal Help with a Change of Name

If you wish to change either your Christian or surname you can do so as long as you are over 18. It is no longer necessary to register a change of name deed, and you can record a change by a Statutory Declaration. Either way, we will provide you with up to six certified copies together with a list of the agencies you will need to notify of the change.

If you would like help with a change of name, contact the family law team at Fraser Dawbarns for further advice and information.

Our Specialists

Daniel Sims

Solicitor - Kings Lynn

Deborah Allen

Solicitor, Senior Partner, Head of Family Department - Kings Lynn

Emma Stearman

Solicitor - Kings Lynn

Rebecca Woodley

Solicitor, Senior Associate - Downham Market

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Page 1 of 3

Change of Name for Children

You cannot change a child’s name without the consent of both parents or the leave of the court. If the parents were not married, and the father does not have parental responsibility (any child born before December 2003), the mother could legally change the child’s name but it is generally ‘frowned upon’ by the Courts. It would then be open to the father to make an application to the Court for the child’s name to revert back to his or her birth name.

If you would like advice on changing a child's name, speak to the family law team at Fraser Dawbarns and see how we can help you.

How Much does a Change of Name Cost?

We charge a fixed fee of £250 plus VAT for change of name deeds, or if you are an existing client with an ongoing matter we will charge £175 plus VAT. Contact us today to discuss your specific circumstances.


I could not recommend Fraser Dawbarns highly enough. Bev Chase and Iain Grimes gave me friendly, honest advice from the start. They both did an excellent job for the from the start. This was done under unusual and very difficult circumstances for me. They were both professional and personable. Thank you both.
Client - Downham Market Office

Why Choose Fraser Dawbarns to Help You?

Pricing Options

In more complex cases that are beyond the scope of the fixed fee service, we offer a choice of pricing options to our clients. By offering the choice between undertaking work on either a fixed fee basis or at an hourly rate, we give you the freedom to select the pricing option that best suits your needs.

Giving you Total peace of Mind

We offer our clients the expert and comprehensive legal advice that they are entitled to expect. We also provide our clients with support, a sympathetic ear and peace of mind during what is a very difficult and emotional time. 

Contact Us Today

Our team will help you from the beginning of your case to the end, giving you total peace of mind. If you would like friendly, client focused advice on a wide range of legal issues, get in touch and see how we can help you.

Call or email us today and find out how we can make your life easier. 

Wisbech: 01945 461456
March: 01354 602880
King's Lynn: 01553 666600
Ely: 01353 383483
Downham Market: 01366 383171
Phone Email