Successful Change of Child’s Surname

1st August 2023



After a divorce or separation, many adults may choose to change their surname. In most cases, this is a relatively straightforward process, particularly if a woman wishes to revert to her maiden name. However, changing a child’s name can be more difficult, especially if you do not have consent of both parents to do so.­­­

The family team at Fraser Dawbarns were asked by the mother of two children to help change their surnames following a separation. Both children were in their teens and wanted no links to their father who was in prison.

We made an ex parte ( i.e. without notice being served on the father) application for a Specific Issue Order in relation to the younger child. There was one hearing at which the Judge agreed the change of surname. We prepared a Change of Name deed for the 17-year-old, and he was able to persuade the passport office to issue his new passport in his new name.


Find out more about Rebecca Woodley

Find out more about our Family service

Find out more about our Change of Name Services


The Family team at Fraser Dawbarns can help with a range of services. If you need legal advice in relation to a name change, please contact




Recommended By The Legal 500 Directory*

*We are recommended for the following practice areas: Corporate and Commercial, Debt Recovery, Employment, Personal Injury: Claimant, Agriculture and Estates, Contentious Trusts and Probate, Family, Personal Tax, Trusts and Probate & Commercial Property.

Search Icon Search
Telephone Icon Phone Email Icon Email
Menu Close Icon